The Mills Fabrica
Lab Manager / Assistant
The Mills Fabrica is now looking to hire a Lab Manager / Assistant to help lead and operating Fabrica Lab; to help organize day to day lab operations and plan programming for lab.
- Ensure lab day to day operations, machines, consumable and tools are in place and good condition
- Set up safety system and training for all lab users creating machinery and areas access levels
- Set up working flow methods to have fair and good environment around the use of the lab
- Trouble shooting of sewing machines and other lab machinery
- Manage lab budget for daily operation
Technical Support and Lab Development
- Create basic training programs and instructions data base for a safe use of the lab and machinery operation
- Be available on certain days or time slots for technical support on machinery use or other technicalities for use of the Lab
- Be main contract of all machinery suppliers for extra support when needed
- Mentorship for student residents to develop and guide them through their projects.
- Technical support for lab equipment (laser cutting / 3D body scanner / sewing machine / 3D printers)
- Continuous research for new technologies, materials and partners. Ex. Fair, supplier visits, etc.
Lab Community Development & Programming
- Organizing on training session for new members and lab workshop
- Organize workshops to demonstrate the use of technologies in the lab and give a better perspective on how to use them.
- Be constantly in contact with residents and start ups making sure the lab setup is optimal to help on their developments and address issues when needed
- Tailor workshops for the general public, schools and specific communities
- Create partnership with other labs and expand capabilities of Fabrica by leveraging their expertise and equipment
- Bring together start ups and residents with vendors and suppliers from our network, organizing seminars to present new technologies, materials, etc.
- Assist on The Mills Fabrica & Techstyle X Store events and activities
- Bachelor’s degree related to Fashion / Technology is highly preferred
- 2-8 years working experience in either other maker spaces / lab facilities or in education institutions focused on technology prototyping and programming
- Hands-on skill with strong passion in fashion and technology as well as interest in education / running of workshops / programmes
- Strong communication skill and interpersonal skills
- Basic sewing skills
- Fast learner willing to adapt and take on new challenges
- Proficient in both written and spoken English/ Chinese
- Proficient in all Microsoft softwares.
- Proficient in Adobe Design Software’s such as Illustrator/photoshop/premier
The Mills is a landmark heritage and innovation project by the Nan Fung Group consisting of 3 pillars- a nonprofit Center for Heritage, Arts & Textiles (CHAT), an experiential retail mall Shopfloor and an innovation center Fabrica.
The Mills Fabrica runs a startup incubator, a VC investment fund, a co-working space/ lab and store. The focus area for Fabrica is “techstyle”- companies at the intersection of technology and lifestyle (specifically focusing on apparel/ textiles and agri/ food tech including innovations improving the production process/supply chain, next-gen brands/ products and new retail experiences/ enabling technologies). The Mills Fabrica’s mission is to create startup success stories and to build a wider community of corporates and organizations to inspire the industry and the next generation for innovation.
Official Website: https://www.themillsfabrica.com/