Do you love growing things? Do you want to have a positive impact with your work? We are looking for an ambitious and resourceful bioprocess scientist to join us and take a central role in the development of our bio-fabricated (made by living organisms) leather-like materials for the fashion industry.
This is a full time role, reporting to our cofounder/CTO, based at our labs and supporting the development of our pilot production facilities in Central London.
Bioprocess Optimisation and Scale Up
- Working with our engineer and microbiologists to optimise bench and pilot scale static culture fermentations
- Process development and standardisation – testing and generating standard operating procedures
- Developing quality control and quality assurance procedures for the pilot production process
Technical Project Supervision
- Coordinating with suppliers to source feedstocks for pilot trials
- Coordinating with expert advisors and consultants to assess technoeconomics and sustainability
- Supporting relationships with contract manufacturing organisations for scaling up beyond pilot scale
- Masters degree and 2+ years’ industrial experience in a relevant bioprocess role
- PhD in microbiology, plant/fungal science, bioengineering, bioprocess engineering or similar
- Experience with a biological production process at pilot scale
- Strong communication skills – able to articulate complex concepts to a range of different colleagues and stakeholders
- Adaptable and creative approach to troubleshooting
- Attention to detail and documentation
- Experience working with bioreactors, particularly static cultures
- Experience working with biomaterials
- Interest in biodesign and sustainable fashion
Modern Synthesis is a London based biomaterial start-up connecting the dots between biology, material science and design to craft progressive biomaterials for the fashion industry. The company’s ‘microbial weaving’ process employs bacteria to grow a strong, lightweight cellulose-based composite material that is naturally biodegradable and offers unique potential for customization.
Official Website: https://modern-synthesis.com/