刊登日期: 17 March 2022
The company is seeking an enthusiastic Research Associate – Process Development with a background in biochemistry, industrial biotechnology and process development to join the company’s R&D team. The Research Scientist will undertake work across our ingredient manufacturing activities, as well as contribute to developing the company’s intellectual property portfolio.
Our preferred candidate will have: i) a detailed understanding of enzymology, biochemistry and industrial biotechnology, ii) experience of working across academic and/or commercial research laboratories iii) completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in biochemistry (or related subject).
The role will be based at the company’s offices and laboratories on the Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, UK with potential for travel to scale up facilities in Europe and North America. The anticipated salary for the role is £27,000 - £32,000 dependent on the extent to which candidates meet the requirements outlined in the job description and their experience.
As Research Associate – Process Development you will report to the Senior Scientist – Process Development and your key duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Supported by senior staff, plan and execute R&D projects, applying your scientific expertise to advance our bio-based ingredient production processes.
- With guidance, develop, implement and review biochemical and physical processing techniques to further increase efficiencies and yields of our processes.
- Transfer learning from scientific investigations and apply problem solving skills to support internal and external scale up of processes developed in the lab.
- Create and maintain inventories and records of all ingredients, chemicals and equipment used in the process development laboratories.
- Engage with colleagues across the business, particularly across the Pilot Plant, Technical Project Manager and Analytical Chemistry teams to ensure projects are aligned and delivered efficiently.
- Analyse results and write reports, documents and batch records summarising findings and conclusions. Present results and discuss findings as part of weekly meetings.
Candidates should have / be:
- Strong biochemistry and enzymology fundamentals, with a relevant undergraduate or postgraduate degree. Previous work in the fields of biomass pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis would be an advantage.
- An understanding of process and scale up related constraints, particularly around transferring processes developed in the lab to manufacturing facilities.
- Competent skills in a laboratory environment with a professional approach and excellent attention to detail.
- A passion for sustainability, and the ability to apply these principles to the development of our processes and products.
- Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
- Analytically minded, with excellent communication skills: both written and oral. Evidence of technical report preparation and delivering presentations to various audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion about disruptive products and making a difference.
- Strong work ethic - prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
- Salary: £27,000-32,000 for the right candidate, dependent on experience and extent to which the job specification is met.
- Full-time – 37.5 hours / week.
- 31 days holiday / year (including Bank Holidays).
- Company pension plan (Royal London).
- Work on the prestigious Cambridge Science Park.
- Significant opportunities to grow with the business.
The Supplant Company is a University of Cambridge start-up, a graduate of the Y-Combinator accelerator program, and is backed by major VCs in the US and Europe. We are an innovative and dynamic ingredient company, creating products to address major health and environmental challenges in the global food system as well as the wider consumer goods and materials sectors. Based on our proprietary carbohydrate platform, we are developing ingredients that are better for people and the planet.