The Supplant Company
Senior / Lead Fungal Molecular Biologist
An exciting opportunity has emerged for an enthusiastic and experienced Senior / Team Lead, Fungal Molecular Biologist to join our R&D group in Cambridge, UK. You will support work across a range of molecular biology projects in the R&D team, however, your key duties will be focused on leading the genetic engineering of filamentous fungi for improved enzyme production.
You will have completed a doctorate in fungal molecular biology / biotechnology (or related subject); those with equivalent industry experience are also encouraged to apply. You will also have proven track record of working in a laboratory environment, preferably in a commercial research setting.
Reporting to, and supported by, the Head of Research, your key duties and responsibilities as Lead Fungal Molecular Biologist will be to:
- With strain development scientists; plan, design and execute molecular biology R&D projects.
- Apply existing knowledge and scientific principles to engineer enzyme expression in filamentous fungi using cutting-edge and classical techniques.
- Characterise the genotypic and phenotypic effects of mutations and enzymes produced by strains at the molecular level.
- Proactively maintain knowledge of latest developments in molecular biology / genetic engineering. Develop protocols and bring in-house appropriate validated techniques and methods.
- Transfer knowledge by training staff in the R&D team on latest molecular biology techniques used for genetic engineering of filamentous fungi.
- Create and maintain records of all experimental work, and proactively feed results back into the work of the wider R&D team in a timely manner.
- Analyse results and write reports summarising findings and conclusions for senior management. Present results and discuss findings as part of weekly meetings.
- Proactively contribute to the development of the company’s patent portfolio.
- Apply learning to long-term scientific investigations and short-term problem solving to support commercially driven development of new ingredients and/or products.
- Working alongside Food Science, Clinical & Regulatory Affairs and Business Development teams, ensure we are addressing the company’s priority challenges.
- This role will sometimes require the candidate to work outside of normal hours when such need arises.
Candidates should have:
- Deep knowledge of molecular biology techniques for genetic engineering of filamentous fungi, including >3 years relevant industry experience and a post-graduate qualification in a strain development / genetic engineering, or related field.
- Proven fundamentals in enzyme evolution & mutagenesis including enzyme kinetics and structural considerations.
- Excellent attention to detail and a professional approach to R&D, ideally gained within an industrial lab environment.
- Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
- Excellent communication: both written and oral. Demonstrable proficiency in clear and concise technical writing and presentation skills.
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion for disruptive technologies, products and making a difference.
- Strong work ethic – prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
- Competitive salary (>£45,000 for the right candidate, dependent on experience)
- Company pension scheme.
- Work on the prestigious Cambridge Science Park.
- We look to grow our employees with the business and this position offers the right candidate the opportunity to establish themselves as a subject matter expert and thought leader within the company
Supplant is an innovative and dynamic ingredient company, creating products to address major health and environmental challenges in the global food system. Its core product, Sugars from Fiber, allows the creation of food products that are healthier for people and planet.
We are a Cambridge University start-up, a graduate of the Y-Combinator accelerator program and backed by major VCs in the US and Europe and have recently successfully completed a Series A funding round.
Official Website: https://supplant.com/