The Supplant Company
Pilot Plant Manager
We are establishing a Technical Development Unit (TDU) in Milton, near Cambridge, to develop and scale our Sugars from Fiber manufacturing process and are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Plant Manager to manage the site.
As Plant Manager, you will be responsible for day-to-day operation of the TDU and support the work of the Process Development R&D team, based at the nearby Cambridge Science Park. You will have completed a degree in Chemical / Biochemical Engineering, Chemistry or Biochemistry (or similar) and have a proven track record, >5 years, of working in commercial scale up, process development and manufacturing settings.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Reporting to, and supported by, the Head of Research, your key duties and responsibilities as TDU Plant Manager will be to
- Oversee daily operations, schedule and prioritise tasks to meet company and R&D needs.
- With senior management, hire and manage a small team of multi-skilled Process Operators.
- Provide technical advice, support and guidance in areas such as site utilities, raw materials, process unit operations & effluent treatment.
- Ensure the site’s compliance to SHE, quality and regulatory procedures.
- With contractors, oversee the installation and commissioning of equipment.
- Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures.
- Propose and manage site project improvements, upgrades and maintenance schedules.
- Work alongside Life Science, Food Science, Clinical & Regulatory Affairs and Business Development teams ensure we are addressing the company’s priority challenges.
- Attend call outs when necessary to support staff. This role will sometimes require the candidate to work outside of normal hours when such need arises.
Candidates should have
- >5 years demonstrable experience in a senior technical and operational position in the (Bio)Chemical Process sector (e.g., biofuels / biochemicals, fermentation, speciality chemicals).
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent, with a scientific and/or technical background. Deep understanding of process engineering principles and process plant operation.
- Working knowledge and training in various SHE aspects such as, CoTC by WAMITAB, IOSH / NEBOSH certified, conversant with PPC regulations.
- Analytically minded, excellent attention to detail and strong diagnostic skills, with experience of technical report preparation and delivering presentations to various audiences.
- Proven experience of effectively managing teams with strong project management & leadership skills. Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion for disruptive technologies, products and making a difference.
- Strong work ethic – prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
- Competitive salary (£40-£50,000 for the right candidate, dependent on experience)
- Company pension scheme
- Located in Milton, just outside Cambridge, UK
- We look to grow our employees with the business and this position offers the right candidate the opportunity to establish themselves as a subject matter expert and operations leader within the company.
Supplant is an innovative and dynamic ingredient company, creating products to address major health and environmental challenges in the global food system. Its core product, Sugars from Fiber, allows the creation of food products that are healthier for people and planet.
Supplant is a University of Cambridge start-up, a graduate of the Y-Combinator accelerator program and backed by major VCs in the US and Europe and has recently successfully completed a Series A fundraising round.
Official Website: https://supplant.com/