The Mills Fabrica
Lab Manager/ Lab Assistant (HK)
The Mills Fabrica is now looking to hire a Lab Manager / Lab Assistant to help lead and operate Fabrica Lab; including organize day to day lab operations and programming for lab. Fabrica Lab is our state-of-the-art maker space at The Mills Fabrica, a place that merges the traditional capabilities of a prototyping lab—such as 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC milling—with garment making and fashion-focused facilities—like industrial-grade sewing machines, digital embroidery machines, 3D fashion design software—for all creators to bring their project to the next level. In addition to building a community of likeminded techstyle entrepreneurs through Fabrica’s global network, Fabrica Lab also provides knowledge sharing and education to the public, educators, and industry partners. Through experiential workshops that combine sustainability, new technologies, and product creation, everyone can learn new skills in a fun and professional environment. Some of the key responsibilities of the role:
- Ensure lab day to day operations, machines, consumable and tools are in place and good condition
- Set up safety system and training for all lab users creating machinery and areas access levels
- Set up working flow methods to have fair and good environment around the use of the lab
- Trouble shooting of lab machines
- Manage lab budget for daily operation
Technical Support and Lab Development:
- Be available on certain days or time slots for technical support on machinery use or other technicalities for use of the Lab
- Be main contact of all machinery suppliers for extra support when needed
- Mentorship for student residents to develop and guide them through their projects
- Technical support for lab equipment (laser cutting / 3D body scanner / sewing machine / 3D printers)
- Continuous research for new technologies, materials and partners. Ex. Fair, supplier visits, etc.
Lab Community Development & Programming:
- Create basic training programs and instructions data base for a safe use of the lab and machinery operation and organize training sessions for new members and lab workshops
- Organize workshops to demonstrate the use of technologies in the lab and give a better perspective on how to use them
- Communicate with residents and startups, making sure the lab setup is optimal for the development of their projects and address issues when needed
- Tailor workshops for the general public, schools and specific communities
- Create partnership with other labs and expand capabilities of Fabrica by leveraging their expertise and equipment
- Bring together startups and residents with vendor and suppliers from out network, organizing seminars to present new technologies, materials, etc.
- Assist on all Fabrica initiative events and activities as required
- Bachelor’s degree related to Fashion / Technology is highly preferred
- 2-10 years working experience in either other maker spaces / lab facilities or in education institutions focused on technology prototyping and programming
- Hands-on skill with strong passion in fashion and technology as well as interest in education / running of workshops / programs
- Strong communication skill and interpersonal skills
- Basic sewing skills
- Fast learner willing to adapt and take on new challenges
- Proficient in both written and spoken English / Chinese
- Proficient in all Microsoft software
- Proficient in Adobe Design Software’s such as Illustrator / Photoshop / Premier
We provide generous compensation and fringe benefits to the right candidate. Please send your resume by e-mail: Sherin.Tang@themillsfabrica.com (We are an equal opportunity employer. All applications will be treated in strict confidence and only be used for selection purpose.)
For further information about Personal Information Collection Statement (“PICS”) Pertaining to Recruitment, please click the link below www.nanfung.com/en/common/pics/.
“Nan Fung Group” and “the Group” mean Nan Fung Group Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries.
The Mills is a landmark revitalization project of Nan Fung’s old textile factories in Tsuen Wan in Hong Kong. This is a heritage and innovation project by the Nan Fung Group consisting of 3 pillars – a nonprofit Center for Heritage, Arts & Textiles (CHAT) focused on heritage & community, a retail mall Shopfloor focused on experiential & experimental retail and an innovation center Fabrica.
The Mills Fabrica runs a startup incubator, a VC investment fund and a co-working space/ lab/ store. The focus area for Fabrica is in “techstyle”- intersection of technology and style (incl. fashion, textiles, wearables/ apparel). The Mills Fabrica’s mission is to create startup success stories and to build a wider community of corporates and organizations to inspire the industry and the next generation for innovation.
Official Website: https://www.themillsfabrica.com/