The Supplant Company
An exciting opportunity has opened up for an enthusiastic Fermentation Scientist to join our R&D team. Reporting to the Head of Research, you will support work across a range of functions in the R&D team, however, your key duties will be developing and implementing cultivation strategies for the optimised production of microbially derived enzymes and their recovery from cells and/or broth.
Reporting to, and supported by, the Head of Research, your duties as a Fermentation Scientist will be varied; however, the key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Planning, design and execution of Research & Development projects. Applying scientific principles to build knowledge of our fermentation system for enzyme production.
- Developing and implementing new chemical and physical characterisation methods, processing techniques and product analyses.
- Applying learning to long-term scientific investigations and short-term problem solving to support commercially driven development of new ingredients and/or products.
- Compiling specifications and information for optimised metabolite production and pro-actively looking for potentially unforeseen improvements.
- Creating and maintaining inventory records of all conditions and results in the experimental work.
- Engaging with industry experts on relevant topics and working alongside Life Science, Clinical & Regulatory Affairs and Business Development teams to set the strategic direction of the team’s research.
- Analysing results and writing reports summarising findings and conclusions for senior management.
- Presenting results and discussing findings as part of weekly meetings.
- Proactively contributing to the development of the company’s patent portfolio.
Ideally, you will have completed a post-graduate degree in microbiology or biochemistry (or related subject); those with equivalent technical experience are also encouraged to apply. You will also have proven track record of working in a laboratory environment, preferably in an industry research setting.
Candidates should have:
- Strong fermentation fundamentals, including >3 years relevant industry experience and/or a post-graduate qualification in a food science related field. (NB position offered will vary depending on the skillset and experience of the candidate). Experience of fungal fermentation is an advantage.
- Proven laboratory experience, ideally gained within an industrial lab environment and a professional approach with excellent attention to detail.
- Knowledge of fermentation scale up considerations
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
- Excellent communication: both written and oral; evidence of technical writing and presentation skills heavily desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion about disruptive products and making a difference.
- Strong work ethic – prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
- Work on the prestigious Cambridge Science Park
- Competitive salary (£30-40,000)
- Pension scheme
- We look to grow our employees with the business and this position offers the right candidate potential for progression within the team
Supplant is an innovative and dynamic ingredient company, creating products to address major health and environmental challenges in the global food system. Its core product, Sugars from Fiber, allows the creation of food products that are healthier for people and planet.
Supplant is a Cambridge University start-up, a graduate of the Y-Combinator accelerator program and backed by major VCs in the US and Europe.
Official Website: https://supplant.com/